Click to view/download PDF info. sheet for our upcoming term: etc Music School Class Offerings, Summer 2014
We are happy to announce etc. Music School’s first-ever Summer Programs!
Registration is now open; e-mail email@example.com to register!
Summer ’14 Programs:
TinyShows Summer Camp:
Open to students entering 1st – 3rd grade in Fall ’14
TinyShows Summer Camp will offer more of the fun music, theatre, dance, and art activities that make our school-year program such a hit with our ‘Tinies’! In summer, we’ll be able to expand our theatrical horizons by also doing outdoor theatre games (weather permitting) and using our imaginations to create a short musical of our own creation. Students will work on drawing scenes, creating dance moves, learning songs, decorating costumes – and having a ton of fun!
Meeting times: Monday-Friday, 10 A.M. – 1 P.M. from June 16 – July 13th (excluding July 4th) at the Noyes Cultural Arts Center, 927 Noyes St. in Evanston
TinyShows Summer show date: July 11th
Price: $400.00 for the term
KidShows Summer Camp:
Open to students entering 4th – 6th grade in Fall ’14
Our KidShows Summer Camp will build off of the workshops and activities that make up our popular school-year program, in which the students themselves get to create and craft their own one-act musical! The longer class periods during summer will allow us to take this model even further, with workshops on costume design, set painting, lyric and music writing, choreography and more. The KidShows class will also get to interact with our older Mentor students, and we’ll take a class field trip to see some live theater!
Meeting times: Monday-Friday, 10 A.M. – 3 P.M. from June 16 – July 13th (excluding July 4th) at the Noyes Cultural Arts Center, 927 Noyes St. in Evanston
KidShows Summer show dates: July 11th-13th
Price: $725.00 for the term
*for later-working parents, we will also offer a Summer Extended Day with supervised art/theatre/music activities from 3-5 P.M.!*
Extended care will be available at the rate of $50.00 per week.
Presents Summer Program:
Open to students entering 7th – 12th grade in Fall ’14
As our students and families in the Presents program have learned, amazing things can happen when teens themselves are given ownership over the creation and stewardship of original works of musical theatre. In our Presents Summer Program, specially-timed to NOT interfere with local summer school classes, we’ll take the Presents program farther than ever before, dabbling in different staging, writing and composing techniques and culminating in a fully-original two-act piece of musical theatre. Classes will be given in composition, lyric and book-writing, staging, choreography and dramaturgy, the class will get an opportunity to learn stage direction while directing select scenes for our KidShows campers, and we will take class field trips to be inspired by a local experimental outdoor theatre company!
Meeting times: Monday-Friday, 2 P.M. – 6 P.M. from June 16 – July 20th (excluding July 4th) at the Noyes Cultural Arts Center, 927 Noyes St. in Evanston
Presents Summer show: July 18-20th
Price: $725.00 for the term
etc. Choir Summer Extension and Performance Tours
Open to students entering 6th-12th grade in Fall ’14
For students looking to continue in our exciting, affirmative, unique and student-driven choral program, etc. will offer a Summer Term filled with fun!
From June 16 through August 17, the etc. choir will be involved in several local civic events, spreading our unique mix of classical, pop, indie rock, and musical theatre to the masses! Planned events include a coffee shop concert, a cultural exchange/joint concert with a Kenyan women’s choir, several street festival engagements and a multi-day performance tour through Door County, WI.!
We’ll take a short break at the end of July to allow some of our singers to travel to Argentina to perform in BAires Canta, an international choral festival – but we’ll be right back to it in August!
Summer rehearsal times: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, 6-7 P.M. from June 16 – August 15 (excluding July 4th and July 21-30) at the Noyes Cultural Arts Center, 927 Noyes St. in Evanston
Performances: TBD; varied dates/times
Price: $300.00 for the summer extension; additional charges may apply if student wishes to go to out-of-town tour opportunities
Summer ’14 Discount Offers:
2. etc. will extend a “loyalty discount” of an additional $50.00 off their summer tuition for any family taking more than one summer offering!
3. etc. is also offering an additional $75.00 off for any family who registers for our Summer ’14 Programs before May 1st, 2014.As always, a range of need-based scholarship and work-study options are available to help with tuition costs for this upcoming summer term. Please do not hesitate to inquire about them if your family needs assistance; etc. does not turn any student away for lack of funds! Take advantage of these offers and secure your spot NOW by e-mailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Current Term: Fall-Winter 2013/2014 Class Offerings
Though registration is now closed for our show programs (TinyShows, KidShows and Presents), registration for the etc. choir programs (Evanston Tween and Evanston Teen Choirs) is open-enrollment; new students may join throughout the term.
1. Private lessons (piano starting at age 6; voice beginning age 9, composition beginning age 10): Weekly private study is available in piano, voice and composition. Lessons are scheduled for a regular weekly time slot at the beginning of each term. Students joining in the middle of the term will be offered the time slots still available at the time of their inquiry.
2. Evanston Tween Choir (grades 5-7) NEW: A new ensemble especially for younger singers who want to be a part of the exciting etc. performance choir program! The Evanston Tween singers will warm-up and perform repertoire alongside their older ensemble-mates; but will also have their own sectional rehearsals and their own special repertoire designed specifically for their needs and abilities.
Regular rehearsals: Saturdays, 5-7 P.M. at the Noyes Cultural Center
Pricing: $200 per student/12-week term
3. Evanston Teen Choir (grades 8-12) (7th graders by audition): The cornerstone of etc, the Evanston Teen Choir (grades 8-12) is the main community performance and fundraising wing of the etc. Music School experience.
The mission of the Evanston Teen Choir is to instill a love of vocal music within the ensemble through positive, focused rehearsals and to engage and support our communities through polished performance of eclectic and challenging repertoire.
Note: 75% of the revenue of every paid gig the Evanston Teen Choir performs goes directly to the etc. Scholarship Fund to allow students who otherwise could not afford it access to etc.’s programming.
Regular rehearsals: Saturdays, 5-8 P.M. at the Noyes Cultural Center
Pricing: $300 per student/12-week term
Note: The Evanston Teen Choir accepts new singers throughout the year. Late-comers in-term get a pro-rated tuition. Inquire at email@example.com!
4. etc Creators’ Workshops (grades 8-12): There are three main weekly workshops for those students interested in creating original material with director Mike for the etc. ensembles: 1. Composers, etc., 2. Writers, etc. and 3. Tech., etc. These three workshops meet one-hour each weekly and help generate original compositions, scenes and costume/prop/technical support for the Evanston Teen Choir and ‘etc Presents’ productions.
Etc Composers: Mondays, 6:30 – 7:30 P.M. at the Noyes Cultural Center
Etc Scene Writers: Wednesdays, 6:30 – 7:30 P.M. at the Noyes Cultural Center
Etc Tech and Production: Fridays, 6:30 – 7:30 P.M. at the Noyes Cultural Center
Pricing: $200 per student, per workshop/12-week term
5. etc TinyShows (grades K-2): “etc TinyShows” are a fantastic introduction to the etc. Music School learning and creating method for younger students. “Mentor-Buddies” taken from the older teen members of the etc Creators’ Workshops work with director Mike in creating a 20-30 minute original musical with the students, getting their ideas and created characters through fun, interactive theater and music games that stress the celebration of participation and imagination. Our performance will take place during class time on the final class day!
Regular rehearsals: Saturdays, 10 A.M. -11 A.M. at the Noyes Cultural Center
Pricing: $175 per student/12-week term
Note on ‘Mentor-Buddies’ for TinyShows and KidShows:
Any older (grade 8 and higher) etc students who wish to help out during rehearsals (minor tech. help, mirroring, theater game participation, etc.) will be welcomed and encouraged to do so under the “Mentor-Buddy” system.
Students will sign up to ensure that there is a good balance of ‘Mentor-Buddies’ to KidShows students per rehearsal. If a student signs up and completes at least half a term (6 weeks) of ‘Mentor-Buddy” service, they will receive an additional $75.00 off of their term’s bill!
6. etc KidShows (grades 3-6): “etc KidShows” are shorter pieces of musical theater crafted for and with young people. With the help of director Mike, teen members of the etc Creators’ Workshops will serve as mentors to younger budding performers, and together they will create original scenes and songs for the 3rd-6th graders to perform, involving the older students in learning about teaching while giving the younger an opportunity to stretch their creative wings!
Winter/Spring term ’14:
Winter/Spring term. tech week: April 21 – April 24, 2014
Shows: April 25-27, 2014
Pricing: $300 per student/12-week term (plus 3 tech. nights, 4 shows)
7. etc Presents (grades 7-12): “etc Presents” are fully-original musicals created with high-schoolers, for high-schoolers, about topics high-schoolers are interested in. We meet each weekend to rehearse a living, breathing new work each term, in which the writers and composers themselves will be on-hand – and often involved themselves – and able to see what is working and what is not, making for an exciting learning AND teaching experience for all!
Winter/Spring Term ’14:
Regular rehearsals: Saturdays, 2-5 P.M. at the Noyes Cultural Center
Winter/Spring term. Tech week: May 12-15, 2014
Shows: May 16-18, 2014
Pricing: $300 per student/12-week term (plus 3 tech. nights, 4 shows)
Please Note: Scholarship options are available for students in need! We do NOT turn anyone away for inability to pay. Please contact director Mike at firstname.lastname@example.org with possible scholarship inquiries!